Peanut Butter Pie
An easy, no-bake Peanut Butter Pie recipe that can be prepped in a matter of minutes! Today’s recipe is made from scratch, no store-bought Cool Whip required.
This simple recipe starts with my easy Oreo Crust and ends with my homemade Whipped Cream. An easy, creamy peanut butter pie that everyone will love!
Slipping one last pie recipe in before Thanksgiving! And one that isn’t going to take up precious oven real estate, at that!
This Peanut Butter Pie is 100% no bake and is every bit as beloved as my Pecan Pie or Chocolate Pie. If you need a last-minute dessert, I’ve got you covered.
Let’s get started.
What are the Ingredients for Peanut Butter Pie?
We’ll cover the Oreo crust and whipped topping below, but here’s what goes into a peanut butter pie filling:
- Peanut butter (of course)
- Cream cheese (adds a great depth of flavor and gives the pie a great consistency)
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream
Simple and classic ingredients that are going to make the best pie on your dessert table.
Make Your Own Oreo Crust
Don’t use a store-bought crust for this peanut butter pie recipe!
Not only is a pre-packaged pie crust too small for all of the filling you’re about to whip up, but it’s really just so, so easy to make to make your own crust. We’re talking literally two ingredients here: Oreos and butter.
As a bonus, you’ll even have a few leftover Oreos at the end, all for yourself 😉. And really, you just don’t get that buttery cookie crumb when you buy a pre-made, packaged crust. If you don’t like or can’t eat chocolate, you can make my equally simple graham cracker crust, instead.
Homemade Whipped Cream — It’s Easier Than You Think!
Now here’s the thing that I think really sets this peanut butter pie apart from others: the whipped cream.
Many no-bake pies call for Cool Whip (and I’ve even used it in some of my dessert shooters). It’s easy and it doesn’t taste terrible, but just like with cakes and brownies, the store-bought variety just never tastes nearly as good as homemade.
Whipped cream literally takes less than 5 minutes to make and it’s so, so easy. We’ll be making it twice for this recipe — once whipping and folding it into the peanut butter pie filling, and then again for our topping. If you haven’t whipped cream before and have questions about stiff peaks or any other aspect of the process, check out my guide on how to make whipped cream.
Peanut butter pie firms up nicely after a few hours in the fridge, but it becomes soft again fairly quickly at room temperature. Because of this, I recommend keeping it chilling in the refrigerator whenever you’re not slicing. It tastes just as good no matter how firm it is, but the better chilled your pie is, the neater and cleaner your slices will be.
If you forget, though, a hearty drizzle of chocolate sauce can fix just about anything 😉
How to Make Peanut Butter Pie
Peanut Butter Pie
- 24 Oreo sandwich cookies
- 5 Tablespoons melted butter (70g)
Peanut Butter Pie Filling
- 12 oz cream cheese softened (340g)
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter (375g)
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided (280g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5ml)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (355ml)
For Whipped Cream Topping (optional)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (175ml)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (30g)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate syrup, for drizzling optional
- crushed Reese's Pieces for decorating optional
- Prepare your pie crust first by placing Oreo cookies in a food processor and pulsing until nothing but fine crumbs remain
- Add melted butter and pulse until well-combined.
- Pour cookie crumb/butter mixture into the bottom of a 9 1/2" pie pan. Use the back of a spoon or the clean flat bottom of a measuring cup to evenly, firmly press crumbs into the bottom and sides of pie pan.
- Place in freezer while you assemble your filling.
Peanut Butter Pie Filling
- In a large bowl, combine softened cream cheese and peanut butter. Use an electric mixer to stir until well-combined.
- Gradually add 1 1/4 cup (155g) of powdered sugar, stirring until completely combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups heavy cream in a separate, medium-sized, clean bowl. Add remaining 1 cup (125g) of powdered sugar, and use an electric mixer to beat, starting on low-speed and gradually increasing to high, until stiff peaks are achieved.
- Stir whipped cream into peanut butter mixture as well as you can using a spatula. Use your electric mixer on low to stir again so that ingredients are well-combined and smooth (don't over-mix).
- Pour peanut butter filling into prepared pie crust and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, before serving.
Homemade Whipped Cream Topping*
- For the whipped cream topping, combine 3/4 cup heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a clean medium-sized bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to stir on low-speed. Gradually increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped topping over the center of the pie, or to be more decorative you can transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 2D Wilton piping tip or similar and pipe a decorative ring around the edge of the pie.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy! Since this pie is a no-bake one, keep it in the refrigerator when not enjoying because it loses its firmness quickly at room temperature.
This peanut butter pie recipe was originally published 08/10/2017, post updated to include more tips and information 11/21/2018.